If you are navigating to this section, most probably you received a letter from us. The reason why this happened is either because you didn’t pay the toll for using the Hungarian chargeable motorways, or because the e-vignette was not valid at the moment of the control.
What could be the reasons for an e-vignette to be invalid at the moment of the control?
- E-vignette expired or it didn’t commence yet – you have to check if the moment of the control, date and hour, was within the validity period mentioned on the e-vignette. According to the law* you have 60 minutes at your disposal to buy a valid e-vignette from the moment you enter the chargeable section of the road. If the control happened outside of the validity range, you may be subject of the excess charge. In this situations we recommend you to pay the outstanding amount from our letter before the 60 days deadline. If you received multiple notifications from us please visit Maximization section.
- Wrong plate no. – the registration number on the counterfoil or in the confirmation message is different from the registration number of the vehicle. In certain legal conditions you can benefit from the correction procedure. For more details check the Corrections section.
- Wrong country code – if the country code on the counterfoil or in the confirmation message is different from the actual country code on the vehicle’s plate number(e.g. A – Austria instead of D – Germany). In certain legal conditions you can benefit from the correction procedure. For more details check the Corrections section.
- Wrong vehicle category – you purchased an e-vignette for a different vehicle category. In such situations you may be subject of excess charge or difference fine. For more info about e-vignette categories please visit the following link.
- If the vehicle has an annual authorization for a given county but it is not used between the junctions specified in the decree (e.g. it is used on the toll road network of another county) you may be subject of the excess charge.
The e-vignette correction applies in the following situations:
- If the registered plate number from the e-vignette contains no more than 3 mistyped characters. *correction can be applied also for the cases where both the plate number and the country code is mistyped
- If the country code mentioned on the e-vignette is different from the country code provided in the car registration papers.
- No administrative fee shall be charged for amending a registration number due to confusing the characters ‘0’(zero) and ‘O’, or ‘Ü’ and ‘UE’.
- Your application, your call or your email has no suspensive effect on the deadlines in your payment request letter. Not even if you have submitted documents. Therefore, please never miss the payment and submission deadlines specified in the payment requests. Please read attentively the information of the 1st request for payment.
- Corrections can be applied also for the cases where both the plate number and the country code is mistyped. Block mistakes cannot be amended (e.g. BH 07 UAI to 07 BH UAI).
The legal requirements to complete this procedure are:
- To contact and send us the copy of the e-vignette, car registration paper and power of attorney (if you are not the subject of the fine) within 60 days from the date you received our first notification.
- To pay the correction administrative fee presented in the correction invoice within the deadline mentioned in the invoice.
I am no longer in possession of the vignette
Our company doesn’t have access to the vignette system. That is why we cannot obtain a copy for you. Even so, the seller is able to provide the copy. For this, you don’t have to go in person to the store where you bought it. You can send them an e-mail with the completed request form. Please check the following interactive map with the Hungarian e-vignette sellers in order to identify the seller and after check the list of sellers contact details to get in touch with the seller.
E-vignette sellers map
Main selling points
If you received more than two payment notifications for multiple unauthorized usage of the chargeable roads, you may benefit from the maximization of fines if certain procedures are met according with the Toll Decree 36/2007: *Contrary to previous regulation, the owner or the operator may apply for the maximization of fines more than once in a calendar year.
- The control date of the last unauthorized use of the chargeable road occurred before the receipt of the first payment notification of the first case.
- The written petition has to be submitted within 75 calendar days from the receipt of the first payment notification of the first case via post or e-mail to UAI.
- The petition will be assessed by NUSZ Zrt. within 30 days and the decision will be notified to the petitioner. In case of approval, the petitioner has to pay the value of the first two cases in term of 30 days from the receipt of the decision.
If these criteria are met, the other cases will be automatically closed.
For more information regarding maximization please contact us.
- The right to appeal has to be manifested within 60 days from the receipt of the first payment notification. Your application, your call or your email has no suspensive effect on the deadlines in your payment request letter. Not even if you have submitted documents. Therefore, please make sure that you don’t miss the payment deadlines specified in the payment requests. Please read attentively the information of the 1st request for payment.
- According to the Hungarian law, this excess charge does not represent a penalty, but a civil claim. For this reason vehicle holder liability applies and the driver investigation is not required.
- Information about the driver/user, leasing or rental contracts shall not be accepted by the issuing body (NUSZ Zrt.).
- For personal data protection reasons we are allowed to communicate only with the holder of the vehicle about the case. If you are not the owner of the vehicle, we may only clarify or process the case with you if you provide us a written power of attorney signed by the owner by which he mandates you to handle the case in his behalf.
- Issuing body: National Toll Payment Services Plc. – NEMZETI ÚTDÍJFIZETÉSI SZOLGÁLTATÓ ZRT. (NUSZ Zrt.).
- Relevant Legislation: Decree 36/2007 (III. 26.) of the Hungarian Ministry of Economy and Transport (GKM) on the tolls payable for the use of motorways, expressways and main roads.
Decree 37/2007 (III. 26.) of the Ministry of Economy and Transport (GKM) on toll motorways, expressways and main roads.
- For more information about Hungarian regulations regarding the use of chargeable roads you can access the following link.
Frequently asked questions
The correction procedure in this situation can be applied only in one of the NUSZ Zrt. customer service offices. To get in touch with the National Toll Payment Services PLC please check the following link.
We are receiving the official information regarding the owner of the vehicle at the moment of the control from Car Registration Authority where the plate number was registered. Considering that you were no longer the owner of the vehicle at the moment of the control, please send us the copies of the official documents which are attesting the ownership change (e.g. selling contract, deregistration papers).
According to the Section 7/A,(8) from the Toll Decree 36/2007, the registered letter shall be deemed to have been delivered on the day of attempting delivery where the addressee refused to take over the notice. If delivery failed due to the fact that the item was returned to the sender, from the addressee’s home address, place of residence or registered address marked ‘mail unclaimed’, ‘addressee has moved to unknown address’ or ‘moved out’, until the contrary has been proved, the document shall be deemed to have been served on the fifth business day following the day of attempting mail delivery. Having obtained knowledge of the assumed delivery, the sender, shall notify the addressee thereof within eight business days by way of a simple mail item, notifying the addressee of the rules governing objections against the assumed delivery.
You will have to provide us a police report about the incident.
The 60 days payment period after which the amount is increased is clearly established by the Toll Decree 36/2007. If you already paid the initial request after the deadline, we are legally entitled to collect the difference. The case can be closed only after the total requested amount is processed.
In this situation you have to send us via e-mail a payment proof document issued by the bank which attest that the payment was processed before the due date. Only after we analyze the payment document we can close the case.
You may benefit from this payment method in certain conditions. For more information about installment plans please visit the following section.
First you have to make sure that the letters you are receiving are not related to a different case. You can compare the letters taking into account the reference numbers, NUSZ ID no., photos, moment of the control, location, amount etc. If you notice differences between these documents, most likely you have more cases opened in our system. In this situation we recommend you to call us as soon as possible and to make sure that you make the payment before the deadline.
Another possibility is that you made the payment but you didn’t specify any information at payment details, so we cannot assign the payment to a particular case. In this situation you have to provide us the payment proof. After that, our Accounting Department will try to identify the payment and book it to your case.
Usually NUSZ Zrt. communicates to us the fulfillment of these procedures. However this process can last a while and thus, we are keep sending you letters. In this situation you have to send us the documents issued by NUSZ Zrt. regarding your case.
If you submitted the requested documents directly to the issuing body after you received the 1st letter from UAI, according to the law and our contract with NUSZ Zrt. we are entitled to collect the administrative fees which represent the costs of holder identification, case processing cost and postal services fees.
If you sold the car a while ago and you don’t have a copy of the document, you can obtain one from the Vehicle Registration Authority.
The fine charged on the grounds of unauthorized road use shall be charged by registration number, not more than once during a calendar day. The fine charged on the grounds of unauthorized road use shall fall due on a single occasion where several successive unauthorized road uses are detected, if not more than 60 minutes have elapsed between the first and last detections made on different calendar days, and no further unauthorized road uses were established by the toll enforcement organization on either of the days of the first and last detections.