Toll roads in Hungary can only be used with a valid e-vignette. To avoid unauthorised use of the road, please always check the correctness of the vehicle registration plate, tax category, and validity period indicated on the control slip.
Even if you have changed your road permit, the permit may not have been valid at the time of the camera check. You can learn about the possible reasons for this below.
In what cases can the vignette be invalid?
- The validity period of the vignette has expired or has not yet started: Please check whether the time, date, as well as the hour and minute of the control fall within the validity period indicated on the e-vignette. As a general rule, the vignette must be purchased before entering the toll road section. If this has not happened, the vignette must be purchased within 60 minutes of entering the section. If the check took place outside the validity period, the surcharge was legally applied. In this case, we recommend that you settle the claim within 60 days of receiving the payment notice. If you have received multiple notifications from us, please visit the ‘maximisation’ section.
- Wrong vehicle registration plate or country code: The vehicle registration plate or country code on the control slip or confirmation message does not match the vehicle’s actual registration plate or country code. In case of entering a registration plate with a maximum of 3 incorrect characters, or in the case of an incorrect country code, you can correct the data that was entered wrong by paying the related administration costs. The procedure is possible within 60 days of receiving the payment notification. You can find more information about the vignette correction procedure in the ‘correction’ section.
- Wrong category: The price category of the vehicle must be determined based on the official entries in the driving licence. In the case of purchasing an incorrect tax category, a differential fee will be charged. For more information on e-vignette categories, please visit the following link.
- County vignette: If your vehicle has an annual permit for a certain county, but you do not use it in that county, between the points specified in the decree (for example, you use the toll road network of another county), an additional tax will be imposed.
Correction of the e-vignette is possible in the following cases:
- The vehicle registration plate recorded on the e-vignette contains a maximum of 3 incorrect characters.
- The country code displayed on the e-vignette differs from the country code displayed on the registration certificate.
- The vehicle registration plate (up to 3 different characters) was incorrectly entered on the e-vignette.
Rules regarding the correction procedure:
- In case of an incorrect vehicle registration plate or country code, the correct vehicle registration plate or country code can be registered within 60 days of receiving the payment notice.
- During the procedure, a copy of the vehicle’s registration certificate and a copy of the control slip or a copy of the confirmation notice confirming the purchase of the right must be made available. If the documents are missing, or if they are not sent in time, the correction procedure cannot be carried out.
- Rectification is done for a fee, and may be made after paying the administration fee. An order will be issued regarding the administration fee. If the administration fee is not paid, or if it is paid late, no correction may be made.
Didn’t keep the e-vignette?
Our company does not have access to the Hungarian vignette system, so we cannot provide you with a copy of the vignette. To obtain a copy of the vignette, you must contact directly the vendor where you purchased the e-vignette. You can also send your request electronically to the point of sale; please find assistance in our form. The interactive map below serves to identify the points of sale.
Map with vignette vendors
If the same vehicle user is accused of unauthorised use of the road with the same vehicle more than once, the vehicle user may request the maximisation of the obligation to pay surcharges until the communication of the first surcharge payment notice for the sum related to two cases.
Rules regarding the maximisation procedure:
- Within 75 days of receiving the first notification, the vehicle user can request the maximisation procedure in writing. The written application can be sent to our company electronically or by post. In your written application, please indicate your vehicle registration number, document number, and your application for maximisation. Please use our form to apply for this procedure.
- The application will be reviewed within 30 days, and the vehicle user will be informed of the outcome.
- The deadline for payment of claims for a maximised amount (2 cases) is 30 days from the receipt of the payment notice.
- In case of payment on time, amounts exceeding the maximum amount will be cancelled.
- If the payment deadline is exceeded, this should be treated as if the claim had not been filed, in which case all claims related to the case will remain active.
- The application may include those cases where the verification date is prior to the receipt of the first payment notice.
If you have any questions about the maximisation procedure, our Customer Service is at your disposal.
Advantageous surcharge payment procedure (surcharge amnesty)
If surcharges are applied to the same motor vehicle user several times for the same vehicle, the vehicle user may submit an application for a reduced payment of the surcharges imposed due to unauthorised use of the road for the last 180 days prior to submitting the application. For this period, previously unpaid surcharges are considered paid by timely payment of reduced surcharges. The decision based on the application does not affect the legal basis of claims arising before this period.
Rules for the procedure of preferential payment of surcharges (surcharge amnesty):
- The amount of the reduced surcharge is six times the basic surcharge applicable and imposed on the vehicle. In this case, it is necessary to pay administration fees for two cases.
- The application will be reviewed within 30 days, and the vehicle user will be informed of the outcome.
- The deadline for paying the reduced surcharges is 30 days from the order. Surcharge claims affected by the application can be considered paid by making the reduced surcharge payment within the deadline. If the payment deadline is exceeded, all claims related to the case will remain active.
Other information, relevant legislation
- Based on the relevant legislation in force, the use of toll road sections creates a civil legal relationship. The surcharge imposed as a result of unauthorised use of the road is a civil claim, not a fine. Based on the legal provisions in force, the vehicle user is obliged to pay the surcharge and its costs.
- To avoid a surcharge increase, please contact us within 60 days of receiving our order, and send us the vignette you purchased, if you have one. Please note that your telephone call, e-mail, or message sent by post does not have the effect of postponing the deadlines indicated in the order for payment. Please pay close attention to the deadlines and related information in the order for payment.
- To protect personal data, we can provide information about the case described in the order only to the vehicle user. If you are not the vehicle user, you can act on behalf of the vehicle user after submitting the written power of attorney given by the vehicle user. You can access the power of attorney form at the following link: Power of attorney
- You can find the power of attorney given to our company by our principal, Nemzeti Útdíjpálátási Szolgáltató Zrt. (NÚSZ Zrt.) here.
- Law I of 1988 on road traffic
- Decree 45/2020. (28.XI.) of the ITM on highways, main roads and their fees that can be used against the payment of a user fee
Frequently asked questions
In case of an incorrect vehicle registration plate – up to a maximum of 3 characters – and/or country code, the correct vehicle registration plate and/or country code can be registered within 60 days of receipt of the payment notice against payment of the correction and administration fee. The administration fee for the correction of errors resulting from changing the symbols “0” and “O”, “Ü” and “UE”, “Ö” and “OE”, and “1” and “I” will not be charged. You can find more information in the ‘Correction’ section.
The correction of the annual right that has not yet expired may only be done at one of the NÚSZ Zrt. customer service offices; the correction of the expired annual right may be done in accordance with the above.
In this situation, within 75 days of receiving the payment notice, you can initiate a procedure for preferential payment of the surcharge (surcharge amnesty) by written application. If your application is accepted, and if six times the surcharge and two times the administration fee are paid within the deadline, the surcharges imposed due to unauthorised use of the road detected on the day of the application and in the last 180 days are considered to have been paid. The decision based on the application does not affect the legal basis of claims arising before this period. The procedure can be used in relation to the same vehicle of the same vehicle user.
At the time of the check, we receive official vehicle user data from the vehicle registration authority where the vehicle was registered. If you were no longer the vehicle user at the time of the check, please send us a copy of the official documents supporting the change of ownership (e.g., sales contract, vehicle registration form) for review.
The order for payment is considered served on the day of the attempted service, unless the addressee refuses to accept it. If the service failed because the order was returned to the sender with the remark “was not searched”, “the addressee moved to an unknown location”, or “moved” from the address, place of residence, lodging, or place of business of the addressee, the document is considered delivered on the twentieth day from the date of service until proof to the contrary. The recipient will be notified within eight business days that the presumption of service has been established.
If you failed to receive the order for reasons beyond your control, you may file an appeal within 15 days of the date on which you became aware of the presumption of service, but no later than 150 days of the presumption of service, in which you can credibly prove with documents that you failed to receive the order for reasons beyond your control. If the application is accepted, an additional period of 60 days can be set.
Please send us the police report supporting the theft or misuse of the vehicle registration plate, as well as the decision of the police or prosecutor’s office closing the proceedings in order to review the case.
Based on ITM regulation 45/2020, after the 60-day payment deadline has expired without the amount being paid, the surcharge amount increases. Payment after 60 days is considered a late payment, which incurs a surcharge increase under the law. In this case, the case can be closed only after full payment of the increased amount.
In case of payment difficulties, you have the option to pay off the debt in instalments, without interest. The debt can be paid in instalments after it has been approved. Please contact our Customer Service in this regard.
If you have used a toll road section without a valid permit on several different days, the additional toll will be charged for the number of calendar days in accordance with applicable law. Please check the content of the orders for payment, especially the check date, location, and document number. Cases registered under different document numbers belong to different check dates.
Please also check the details of your payment, the correctness of the recipient’s bank account number, and whether the document number and vehicle registration plate have been correctly indicated in the order column. Send the bank confirmation confirming the payment to our Customer Service for review.
If you have been informed about the unauthorised use of the road by an order from our company, and have submitted the necessary documents for the above procedures to NÚSZ Zrt after receiving our notice, you are obliged to pay the administration fee which covers the costs for vehicle user identification, data processing, case management, and postal fees. The law and the agreement with NÚSZ Zrt entitle our company to reimbursement of costs.
If you have sold your vehicle and no longer have the registration certificate, you can request a copy thereof or a copy of the vehicle registration form from the relevant registration authority.
A surcharge may be imposed no more than once per vehicle registration plate and per calendar day. If you drive on different days without a valid permit, the surcharge will be charged per calendar day.